5.25.2010

creative outlet.

I've always felt a need to express the creative side of me.  

as a little girl, I would sit and color for hours on end, until every page of every coloring book I owned was filled.  and then I would promptly beg for more.  

I can only imagine my creative genes must have been a by-product of inheritance.  my mom was known for her superb decorating ability--she collected antiques and lovingly furnished our home with those, adding in her own creative touches, as well.  in fact, our house was so nicely done that the local newspaper wrote an article on it.  she painted and quilted and both her and my dad did needle-pointing and my grandpa (my mom's dad) made lamps and artwork out of stained glass.

somewhere in my early teenage years, I concluded that girls were somewhat boring to hang out with and turned into a tomboy.  I did get quite creative with some of my hairstyles, that of which included gelling and spiking of sorts.  it makes me cringe to even think about my seventh grade picture.  I looked like a boy.  the term "awful" doesn't even begin to describe it.  I suppose it was my way of expressing myself during that awkward adolescent phase.  

in my early 20's I went to my first Making Memories party and was sold on the art of scrapbooking.  (I remember that party well because we scrapped and visited until 3 a.m. and then I had to get up with the toddlers at 6 a.m.)  I have done that off and on up until recently.  the scrapbooking part. not the stay up until 3 a.m. part. I'm too old for that now.  I just can't seem to find the time for it at this point in my life.  hopefully someday down the road I will be able to pick it up again. 

it wasn't until after we bought our first house that I discovered my love for decorating.  my style has evolved over the years, going from the antique/rustic look to the more modern and simple look.  being in a rental has kind of put a damper on that, though.  it's not like we can start remodeling or changing anything.  so, blah on that.

and in between, I've tried crocheting, knitting, sewing and even rug hooking. none of which has really stuck, though.

and so it was about a year ago that I discovered photography.  I quickly developed a passion for it and since then, it has taken over being my creative outlet.  at home, my camera is always within arm's reach and it accompanies me on every trip.  I love capturing life and preserving those cherished moments.  and it's been fun sharing those moments with you.

here are a few of Ella from Sedona.


IMG_3509 copy 

IMG_3497
IMG_3500 


IMG_3501 


IMG_3505 


IMG_3667 


IMG_3659copy  IMG_3620 


IMG_3662

what is your creative outlet?

-jessica




No comments: