7.21.2011

blueberry jam.

one of the best things about summer is being able to enjoy a variety of seasonal, fresh fruit.  after buying apples, bananas, and oranges all winter long (because I'm not about to fork over $5 for an *extra* small container of strawberries in February, are you kidding?), sinking my teeth into a juicy peach, or devouring a handful of plump blueberries is a much welcomed treat.

I would have to say my favorites are the berries, namely strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries, did I miss any?  high in antioxidants and low in sugar, I find myself adding them to a lot of things; granola, oatmeal, yogurt, salads, pancakes and waffles, or simply scarfing them by the handful makes for a great afternoon pick-me-up, as well.  either way, you can't go wrong.

when it coms to making jam, I've mainly stuck to the basic strawberry freezer variety, because that's what the kids seem to prefer.  I don't know about you guys, but after making the same thing over and over again, I tend to get a little burnt out.  so when I came across this blueberry jam recipe, I was more than anxious to try it out, or broaden my horizons, if you will.

initially, the kids wrinkled their noses at it.  and I quote, "ewww, mom, that looks disgusting," they all said, as they shoved their fingers down their throats and made fake puking noises. ( lol, I totally remember doing that as a kid... like, GAG me.) I shrugged my shoulders and simply replied, "great, all the more for me."

I betcha it wasn't two days later when I caught Myra red-handed, spreading a generous layer on her PB & J sandwich.  she looked a little sheepish, but then admitted, "I guess this stuff IS good."

can I get a resounding, "I TOLD YOU SO?"

especially delicious on homemade waffles and on top of bagels and cream cheese.  YUM.

here's the recipe:

secretly simple blueberry jam

-5 cups blueberries
-1/2 cup sugar
-1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
-1/4 tsp kosher salt

in a medium saucepan, combine the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, and salt.  mash with a potato masher or wooden spoon until the berries have released their juices.

cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened, 18 to 25 minutes.  transfer to containers and refrigerate for up to 1 month or freeze for up to 1 year.

tip: this recipe can also be made with two 10-ounce bags of frozen blueberries instead of fresh.  cook the frozen berries for 2 to 3 minutes before mashing, then reduce the total cooking time to 15 to 17 minutes.

mmm, juicy homemade preserves that can be made without canning equipment?  SPREAD THE WORD.

-jessica

1 comment:

Janee said...

I can't wait to try this... But question would it work with raspberries or strawberries ? And I am so excited to make your BBQ pork :) thanks for sharing