7.22.2011

the city mouse and the country mouse.

my nephew Harrison came up from the big city to spend a few days with his "country" cousins.  I mean, not that Flagstaff is *that* small of a town or anything, but when compared to Phoenix then yes, it is.  by several million people or so.

anyway, after noticing the kids were looking rather bored yesterday, I suggested they hop on their bikes and go to the park (there's a playground at a charter school not too far from our house.)  "it's a beautiful day!" I exclaimed.  "why don't you head outside and get some fresh air."  (btw, didn't you absolutely loathe hearing this as a kid?  ooh, I couldn't stand it.  and now look, I'm saying the exact same things to my own kids, lol.)

immediately, Harry's eyes got all wide and he appeared a little concerned.  I was just about to ask if something was the matter when he pipes up, "you mean, we can just like, bike to the park..." he paused a second before adding, "by-- by ourselves?"

insert full-blown laugh attack.

afterwards, every time the image of Harry, all shell-shocked and wide-eyed appeared in my mind, I couldn't help but think of Aesop's fable, 'The City Mouse and the Country Mouse.'

here they are, looking a bit like night and day.  I mean, would you ever guess these two are cousins?

camera settings: ISO 200, f/3.5, 1/100s @ 46mm.
quick photo tip: the key to getting boys this age to cooperate for pictures is to have them make weird/crazy/silly faces.  then they're MORE than willing.  and who knows, you might just luck out and get a genuine smile or laugh, like the last photo.

well, I'm off to meet Kim and her mom at the cabin today.  I might just attempt a little crafting, we'll see.

have a great weekend!

-jessica

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This brings back memories when Harry's brother Chris came to visit Loren by himself for the first time. Loren could not (and I mean NOT) get Chris to go out of our driveway for a bike ride in the countryside. I never did find out what he thought would to him if he ventured out of the yard into all those wide open spaces around our house there on Vicksburg!

Keith and Kim Kesti said...

Great photos, Jess! Yep, my poor city kid - trapped in phobias. Ha. He looks nice and sweaty - obviously having a ball!