2.10.2010

the most amazing salsa.

I LOVE salsa.  I could eat it by the bowlful.  and it has definitely topped my list of "foods I crave during pregnancy" this time around. (well, at least I shouldn't have trouble with my prostate ;) hee hee.
I have to admit, up until now I had NEVER, ever made my own salsa.  I've always settled for the kind you buy at the store, although I have yet to come across any certain brand that I just love.  they're all so-so.
of course, it's always a treat to enjoy someone else's homemade salsa.  but I figured it was too much chopping, dicing and slicing for my taste.  blah.  I like fast and easy.
that WAS until I discovered this recipe by The Pioneer Woman.  (this lady is just plain amazing, anyway.)  and the clincher was when she said she made it in 2 minutes and 36 seconds flat.  oh yeah.
here is the line-up:
IMG_9442

I know, it calls for tomatoes in a can.  but I don't garden or want to spend the afternoon peeling fresh tomatoes.  so, throw all these in a food processor or blender:
IMG_9446

and voila:
IMG_9451
delicious yummy restaurant style salsa.  and did I mention there are no chunks, either?  I hate chunks of "stuff" in salsa.  but I'm high maintenance that way.
IMG_9298

lastly, serve it up and ENJOY!  your guests will be oohing and ahhing! (and no one will need to know that you did it in under 5 minutes.)
p.s. I also tried P.W.'s white chicken enchiladas (to go along with the chips and salsa) and they were super tasty!
here's the salsa recipe:
Ingredients

  • 1 can (28 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes With Juice
  • 2 cans (10 Ounce) Rotel (diced Tomatoes And Green Chilies)
  • ¼ cups Chopped Onion
  • 1 clove Garlic, Minced
  • 1 whole Jalapeno, Quartered And Sliced Thin
  • ¼ teaspoons Sugar
  • ¼ teaspoons Salt
  • ¼ teaspoons Ground Cumin
  • ½ cups Cilantro (more To Taste!)
  • ½ whole Lime Juice

Preparation Instructions
combine whole tomatoes, Rotel, onion, jalapeno, garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro in a blender or food processor.  pulse until you get to the salsa consistency you'd like.  test seasonings with a tortilla chip and adjust as needed.
refrigerate salsa for at least an hour.  serve with tortilla chips or cheese nachos.
-have a nice thursday!

No comments: