3.03.2010

old fashioned goodness.

I've decided to dedicate thursdays to recipe day.  for now, I guess.  it's been fun because it forces me to actually use my otherwise useless brain to come up with some sort of concoction to make for the week.  I figure if I use it, I won't lose it. or let's hope so, anyway.  and if you're in the same business as I am, then you most likely know what I'm talking about here.  ga ga goo goo, anyone?
my latest kick has been homemade granola.  yum.  I eat it for breakfast with milk.  for snack with yogurt and fruit.  for snack with ice cream.  by the handful for a quick snack.  and all I do is eat snacks.  kidding.  the kids love it as well. gary and I made a double batch and it's almost gone.  not kidding.  it's that perfect little pick-me-up to get you through the rest of the day.
this recipe comes from my mother-in-law.  so I'll call it Grandma's Granola.  I just decided that's a pretty fitting name because both grandmas and granola are filled with that pure and simple old fashioned goodness.  but then again, I know a lot of trendy grandmas, too.
............................................................................................................................................................
here's the recipe:
  • 1 big can old fashioned oats
  • 2 cups nuts (any variety, excluding your relatives)  
  • 1 bottle wheat germ
  • 1 Tbsp salt
  • 1 c brown sugar

 Mix above together in a large bowl.


  • 1 1/2 cups honey
  • 1 1/2 cups oil (don't use olive oil)
  • 2/3 cups water
  • 3 Tbsp vanilla

 Mix and add to above mixture.

Spread on two greased cookie sheets.
Bake at 250 for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
Stir and switch racks once.
DO NOT OVER BAKE!

*note- we store the granola in those handy gladware containers in the freezer.  keeps it fresher, longer.
Granola
.........................................................................................................................................................  
looks delicious, doesn't it?  would anyone care for a yogurt and granola parfait? what?  I can't H E A R you!  bummer...guess I'll have to eat it.    
-jessica 
PS.  thanks for all of the words of encouragement on yesterday's post.  I definitely need to get a portfolio started.  any volunteers?  or should I say guinea pigs?  let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a treat!