8.25.2010

first day of school: then and now.

Scan 2 

my mom and I on my first day of school in 1981.  I look like the epitome of a school girl, with my pigtails, plaid dress, knee highs, saddle shoes and apple backpack.  don't you think? 

sadly, my mom passed away just two years later.  I was 6 at the time.  she was 29. I don't remember much about her, but I'm told she was a most wonderful, talented, and beautiful person.  I wish I could have had more time with her.  and I especially miss her now that I'm a mother myself.  it hasn't always been easy being a motherless mother.

but, somehow, some way, life continues on.

29 years later:  

meet Ella, number 6 in the line-up.  she just started kindergarten and absolutely LOVES it.   

IMG_7905 
IMG_7907

the kids have to (get to?) wear uniforms this year.  I couldn't decide if I liked the idea or not.  simply for the fact that it sounded rather boring.  and then when I went out to buy the tops, most places were already picked over in the sizes I needed.  at least they each have a couple to start out with, anyway.  I'll have to keep my eye out for some cute uniform clothes. (if there is such a thing.)    

IMG_7909 
IMG_7910 

 my three grade schoolers.  Myra is in 4th grade and Sawyer is in 2nd.

IMG_7920 

off to catch the bus.

IMG_7923 

smelling flowers along the way. 

IMG_7924 
IMG_7925 

there she goes on a new adventure... off into the big (sometimes scary) world! *sniff*  

IMG_7926 
IMG_7928 

I can't believe I have six kids in school already.

it makes me feel (do I dare say it?) kind of old.  shhh...not so loud!

well, I like to think I'm still young at heart.    

-jessica  



No comments: