1.02.2013

scenes from California.

I don't know why I always feel compelled to write something, so here goes:

something.

there.  now that I got that out of the way, let's get down to business, shall we?

back in October we spent four fun-filled days in San Diego, and well, it just so happened that my birthday fell during that time.  lucky me, hey?  I mean, how often do you get to spend your birthday relaxing at the beach?  because if you're busy raising a (rather large) family like me, where most days are spent merely trying to survive, it's pretty rare that I ever get to do anything on my birthday.  besides go out for dinner, maybe.  to me, it more or less feels like just another day.  only a little worse.  like if you have to make your own cake, of all things.  
    
because we didn't have the means to bake a cake at the KOA, and because store bought cakes are typically less than edible (at least from my experience anyway), Gary went out and picked up some donuts from a local donut shop, instead, to celebrate my birthday.  I specifically told him that I wanted 3 dozen, you know, because I was turning 36 and that would equal one donut per year of my life.  sounds reasonable, right?  except he returned a half hour later with not the three dozen like I had instructed, but one.  yep.  one lone dozen.  "so, where are the other two dozen?" I inquired, slightly annoyed.  did he not think I was worth that much, or what?  I mean, for crying out loud, it wasn't like I was asking for diamonds!

I'm saving that for next year.

"I decided that a dozen donuts is plenty." he said.  "besides, I'm the one who has to bunk with you.  and if I remember from last time, don't donuts give you horrendous GAS?"

embarrassed that the other guests milling about the cabin courtyard had possibly overheard him, I immediately put a finger to my lips.  "shhh, not so loud!  I mean, no need to announce that tidbit of information to the entire world," I said, rather disgustedly.

yeesh, men.  sometimes they have no tact.

um, yeah.  so.  where were we?

oh yes, that's right.  something about a trip to San Diego.  heh.

anyway.  when we weren't beaching it, we spent our time farting, I mean, relaxing at the KOA where the kids alternated between renting bikes and swimming in the pool.  fun times!   

anyway, I hope you enjoy looking at the pictures as much as I enjoyed taking them!  about half were taken with my dslr and the other half with my iphone.    

did someone say donuts?
even on vacation, the kids fight.  here they are duking it out over a boogie board, a definite classic.
night swim.
no picture is complete without bunny ears.

"don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." -Dr. Seuss

-jessica 

7 comments:

Keilah said...

As always, I LOVE your photos! The pic of the boogie board fight is classis! :)

Keilah said...

oops. *classic

Farmgirl Paints said...

These are amazing! I feel like I was on vacay with you. Happy belated birthday:)

Amber said...

Awesome way to spend a birthday! Great photos.

Anonymous said...

amazing pictures!

dana said...

AMAZING photos Jessica.
You have such gift. Wow. I'm blown away by this post.
You know, one of my favorite pics is the breakfast table of the pancakes...because so few people could make a bottle of "Great Value" syrup look lovely. I guess a vase of pretty roses helps :)
Love your stuff!
- Dana
www.danamadeit.com

dear olive said...

I suppose I'm officially blog-stalking you now ... but I follow you on instagram and decided to pop over. These are absolutely glorious holiday photos. Truly stunning. But you definitely deserved the other two doz. donuts! Kellie xx